Skin School Series: Acne 101
The first lesson in our Back To Skin School Series is on acne. We will be exploring the different types of acne and how they relate to our ayurvedic makeup (known as our dosha composition).
This month we will discuss:
- The root cause of the acne you’re experiencing
- What skincare products you can use to treat it
- Dietary recommendations
- Lifestyle recommendations
If you haven’t yet taken the quiz to find out which dosha you are, you can do so here.
This acne is prompted by skin dehydration rather than oil and bacteria, it typically shows up as black heads or white heads. This happens when our skin’s sebum (oil) dries out and clogs pores.
- Cold weather
- Rushed, frenetic lifestyle
- Excess stress
- Skincare not hydrating or rich enough
- Diet too dry (popcorn, for example) or cold (salad)
Consume a lot of fruits and veggies, as well a healthy fat (like avocado).
Lower stress by creating some routines and stabilizing life, and making relaxing a priority. Ensure to get lots of sleep (at least 8 hours).
Calm exercise that engages the mind and spirit and connection (for example, yoga, tai chi, dance).
1. Hydrate the skin, applying water-rich serums that increase moisture.
Ages 20-35 Pure + Simple Hydration Serum
Age 35+ Pure + Simple Collagen Plus
2. Add a rich moisturizer to help lock water in, keeping skin moist and sebum fluid.
Ages 20-35 Pure + Simple Beautiful Skin Face Cream
Age 35+ Just Pure Calendula Royal Gelee
When pitta has excess heat in the body, it results in red, angry blemishes, most often with pustular heads.
- Excess mental stress, competition, perfectionism, judgmental
- Feeling a lack of control or organization, too much chaos
- Internal heat - hot weather
- Spicy food
- Heating food - oils, meat, salt, acid
- Irritating aggressive skincare
- Dehydration, inflammation
Avoid spicy, sour and oily foods eating a heating diet. Some
culprits are hot spices, deep-fried food, and excess salt. Natural vegetarian. Instead try cooling foods like mint, dairy, tropical fruits, melons, cucumber, and celery.
Try curbing any anger you are experiencing through meditation and keeping your daily routine consistent.
Non-competitive options are best, for example yoga and tai chi.
Calming skincare containing aloe, rose water and neem are therapeutic for this type.
Holistic Vanity Acne Care line
This acne type is wet, large and deep. Imbalance of this dosha leads to excessive sebum-production along with cystic, fluid-filled pimples, which are painful and slow to heal.
- Cold wet weather
- Feeling of Insecurity
- Over dependency
- Depression, in a rut
Avoid dairy, red meat, tropical fruits, melons, bananas, overly sweet foods, and oily foods.
Get rid of what is obstructing your ability to grow. Keep a good sense of routine, eat around the same time everyday. Try to wake up early and go a run to jump start your day. Need no more than 8 hours of sleep.
Swimming, long-distance walking, trampolining and a gentle jog are good options or aerobic, high impact sports.
1. Cleansers to eliminate oil.
Product Recommendation: P + S Pure Skin
2. Antimicrobial toners that don't strip the skin.
Product Recommendation: P + S Witchhazel
3. Light, hydrating, low oil, stimulating
Product Recommendation: Aquafolia Triple Action Line
Thanks for tuning in to our first lesson! We hope to see you at our Facebook Live on Thursday, September 26 where we’ll discuss skincare in relation to the doshas even further.
the Pure + Simple Team