COVID-19: Pure + Simple Precautions
At Pure + Simple, we want to empower you with as much information as we can and update you on how we are responding with additional safety measures to protect you and our staff as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
As always, Pure + Simple is committed to ensuring a high standard of sterilization and cleanliness which far exceeds the standards set by municipal public health agencies. Even before COVID-19 we had implemented rigorous hand washing, tool sanitization and anti-contamination standards. Now we are doing even MORE:
- EnviroshieldTM spray down of all of our spas: This advanced disinfection technology is a state-of-the-art electrostatic sprayer delivery system of hospital grade disinfectant. Using an electrostatic charge, antimicrobial solution is applied in a way that helps surround and cling to the surfaces it touches in controlled micro-bursts. Wow what a mouthful.
- A Gloved Facial: While we always practice extensive hand washing and disinfection, we would also be happy to wear disposable surgical gloves during your service. Just let us know and we will glove up while we also put on our surgical masks.
- Extended Spa Sanitization of all treatment rooms before and after every service.
- Hand Sanitizer: Yep, expect to see A LOT of hand sanitizer at Pure + Simple. Guest hand sanitizers upon entrance, around our spas and in all spa rooms. We will all have sanitization at our fingertips all the time.
- Exhibition of Symptoms: If you are exhibiting any symptoms, please let us know - we will be happy to help you reschedule your appointment..
- The Guard: We ask our team (and guests) to stay home and report to a medical professional or public health authority immediately if they have exhibited or been exposed to anyone with symptoms related to COVID-19, such as cold and/or flu-likesymptoms. Sorry not sorry.
- Personal Advice: Please refer to the addendum below for advice for your daily life from Dr. James Robb, one of the first molecular virologists to work on corona viruses.
Advice from Corona researcher and MD, Dr. James Robb:
One of our Pure + Simple medical practitioners received an email written by Dr. James Robb, one of the first molecular virologists to work on corona viruses. She wanted to share some of his unique insights. However, the information contained in this newsletter is not medical advice and is not asubstitute for proper medical care or robust sanitization. If you have concerns regarding your health, see a medical professional immediately. You may also want to consult the links below for additional information about the virus provided by our Federal and Provincial health authorities.
A DOCTOR ADVISES DOCTORS RE Coronavirus
Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.
The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April...
What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:
1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.
Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.
2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.
3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.
4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx….
I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! -- James Robb, MD FCAP